01608 811 444 Facebook Icon Twitter Icon GET A QUOTE

House and Carriage News

Thursday, December 12, 2013 by Tom Skelton

I’m moving house…..should I take my removal company’s insurance cover?

For most people, moving house is a big event and one that is not often repeated. Your worldly chattels are about to be packed up and shifted and you need to make sure you’re taking appropriate steps to insure them. Don’t leave it to chance thinking that your remover will automatically cover you in the event of loss or breakage. Accidents can and do happen. Safeguard yourself by doing a little homework before you book a remover.

Questions to ask your remover about insurance cover:

  • Is the cover included in the move price or is it an optional extra? If it is included check very carefully the wording on your contract and what is included in the cover.
  • Is the cover ‘new-for-old’ or an ‘indemnity’ (repair or replace to current value) policy. If it is new-for-old expect to pay more for the cover.
  • Will any claims be handled by an independent assessor? If the answer is yes then you are sure to get a fair settlement in the event of a claim. If your remover handles claims in-house then any settlement amount must be negotiated directly between you and them.
  • Will my home insurance policy cover me? In most cases – yes, for goods in transit but usually not for storage. Again check the wording as to what is covered. One point to remember is that if you make a claim with your home insurer it will affect your no-claims history.

Points to ponder:

  • READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS! We cannot stress this point enough. It might be 2-3 pages of small print that would put an insomniac to sleep but they are legally binding and should spell out the responsibilities of both parties.
  • Check with your remover if their insurance is arranged through a specialist broker. If so then the terms of their policy are likely to be more acceptable than those provided by your household insurer.
  • If you want to protect your current household no-claims history then use the removers insurance.
  • Caveat Emptor! Never assume your remover is automatically providing cover. Best to ask the questions before the contract is signed.
  • If you value your belongings then expect to pay to protect them. You might think getting a man-and-van company to move you is saving you a fortune but if there are damages you will quickly see the false economy.
  • Your remover will probably offer ‘Limited Liability’ as standard in the contract. This is just as it says on the tin and limits the remover’s liability in the event of any damages or losses. The amount this pays is capped and is usually not enough to buy a cup of tea and a biscuit.
  • Don’t assume that because your remover is a member of a trade body that you will automatically be given full cover. Remember – trade bodies will set minimum operational standards, and some members are happy to offer just that and no more!

Above all else, keep the lines of communication with your remover open and honest. And if your not sure - ask!

We are always happy to hear from you if you have any questions →
Back to news stories list